Getting Started with the Manitoba Collaborative Data Portal
Take a Tour of the Portal
Stay up to Date
Take a Tour of the Manitoba Collaborative Data Portal (MCDP)
To get started with the Manitoba Collaborative Data Portal (MBCD), we would suggest that you first watch the Tour of the MBCDP Portal video (above). As illustrated by the video, the MBCDP consists of a number of components that we anticipate you will find helpful in your work. These include:
- Interactive Web Maps that will allow you to not only quickly and easily visualize important health and social trends in Manitoba, but will also allow you to undertake custom analyses and generate focused reports.
- Support for loading all of the MBCDP map layers into Google Earth to visualize and explore spatial trends
- Extensive supports for the end-user on how to use the interactive mapping tools including User Manuals, Video Tutorials, and a Blog.
- Detailed documentation (Data Dictionary) of all data layers used in the interactive maps, with hyperlinks to relevant sources of background information.
- Downloadable data extras including shape files that can be used in mapping programs such as ArcGIS and formatted KMZ files that can be used to map directly using Google Earth. These can all be accessed via the Data Dictionary.
- Downloadable maps from our Map Gallery in .pdf format that have been produced by the partners in the MBCDP project
- Links to a wide variety of data sources about the health and well-being of Manitobans. These include both local community data (Local Data Portals) as well as links to national health indicator and demographic databases (National Data Portals).
- Focused knowledge portals in areas such as Nutrition and Food Security, Housing and Homelessness (under construction, and Transportation (under construction).
To get up to speed as quickly as possible with using the interactive maps, we would suggest the following steps:
- Take an hour and watch all of the Video Tutorials that describe how to use the mapping capacity in the MbCDP
- Download and print out the Mango Maps Quick Start Guide, the Basic Mapping with Mango Maps training document, and the Case Based Tutorials document from the User Manuals page, and then start playing with the interactive maps.
- Trying out the maps and experiment.
- If you have problems you can't solve, contact us via our Contact Page and we will endeavor to get to you as soon as possible
Stay Up to Date:
To stay up to date with new developments, consider registering for updates. You can do this by signing up on the Sign-up for Updates page.
Your feedback on the portal is critical to its success!! Provide us with comments and suggestions about how you think the portal should be improved, and what you think should be added or removed. As well, if you see any errors with the data on the portal, be sure to let us know so that we can correct these. Please provide us feedback through our Contact page.
The Manitoba Collaborative Data Portal has been built and currently operates through the in-kind contributions of partner organizations, and has no budget to support its continued operation. If you value the MbCDP and what it provides, consider providing support. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Convince the organization you work for that they should contribute resources to support the project, with year end dollars for example.
- If you have an area of special expertise or knowledge, consider providing technical support to the project by participating in the development of data products.